Other than the universally proven fact in all types of sports that a stable head or position improves accuracy and precision where they are needed (would you rather throw a ball at a target while standing still or on the back of a moving truck?).
Below you’ll see a gif. of some positions that jumped out at me while I was making stills for the upcoming video, and remember that these are static pictures of me in motion, and are not positions that I’ve tried to “hit.”
Rather they illustrate how, while swinging at around 120 mph impact speed, the stable head is a boon to consistent ball-striking:
DJ’s Stable Head
We’ve discussed how the stable head is a result of keeping the C7 swing point (which you can just visualize as the back of the base of the neck) stable, and that doesn’t mean freezing it, but making a pivot so that the body and shoulders turn beneath it without it moving significantly to either side or vertically.
In the above gif., I would bet that you could easily visualize the club swinging from the left arm like a pendulum with a hinge in the middle, with the right arm powering the swing as would a piston.
Notice how, with the stable swing point, the transition from half-way into the back swing pivot to half-way down to impact from the top, you can see how I’m using my body mass to leverage the swing.
There’s almost a rocking-horse effect when you watch things go back and forth.
Those two stills were taken from an actual swing, but the club shaft, when parallel to the ground, is virtually in the same slot in both, showing how I don’t have to manipulate the club when swing down.
Now, imagine what it must be like trying to hit balls effectively with one’s head moving all over the place while swinging, especially during the down swing:
All of that head motion you see above comes from the address position whence begins the swing, coupled with iffy mechanics, and while it’s obvious some skilled and gifted golfers can play golf this way – it doesn’t have to be that difficult or convoluted just to get from the top to impact.
The stable C7 or swing point allows me to swing back to the top and then really “step into” the down swing, which is actually just the transferring of pressure from parts of the feet to other parts of the feet.
And a benefit of this is that I don’t have to contort my body to produce efficient power and speed, which means I will not only be more consistent, I won’t be risking injury due to improper technique, swinging at high speeds:
The positioning is the way you do this, not any particular magic moves as are sprinkled throughout any golf magazines or television shows or tournament broadcasts.
When you swing from a proper address position, the club virtually swings itself once you get settled into the proper mechanics, but you’ll never perform the proper mechanics unless you start from that proper position.
I’ve said that the address position or Fundamentals Trifecta (stance, grip and ball position) are 90% of the golf swing, and the mechanics are the other 10%.
The MCS “Leverage Machine”
And that is how you transform your body into a flesh & blood “leverage machine,” using a stable swing point as a machine would have, and the body, mostly the hips and legs (with assistance from the trailing or power arm), to power the swing as a machine motor would.
It doesn’t matter which of your arms is the dominant arm, either – I’m left-dominant, but if I were to swing with a right-dominant motion, you’d see basically the same thing.
I’ve sent updates to everyone who has a pre-order in for “E = MCS,” shooting will resume this week, with the return of sunny conditions after the weeks of cloud and rain (I actually went to the range yesterday to try to shoot while it was sunny, and of course the clouds and rain moved in).
Won’t be too much longer, and if you haven’t pre-ordered but don’t want to miss release day, you can just send me a request for notification on release day by filling out the form below, and you won’t miss out!